Who Are We?
The Steveston Merchants Association's volunteer Board of Directors are Steveston business owners who are committed to increasing business for our membership. Our target markets are Steveston, Richmond, Metro Vancouver and visitors to the region.
Members receive exposure through newspaper and magazine advertising, exposure on our website, awareness campaigns, cross-promotions, shop local campaigns, and special events sponsored by the Steveston Merchants Association including the Steveston Scarecrow Crawl, Trick or Treating in Steveston Village, Girls Night Out, Festival of Trees, Christmas in Steveston Village and the Easter Egg Hunt. In addition, the Steveston Merchants Association lends support to other Steveston special events as we see fit.
We encourage our members to foster relationships with one another and with our supporters, including Tourism Richmond, the City of Richmond and local non-profit groups, to form a strong alliance.
We work as advocates for beautification projects. We are the voice for our members regarding issues that affect the business community including parking, road closures and safety issues, through strong communication with the City of Richmond.
We encourage all Steveston businesses to join the Steveston Merchants Association.
Board of Directors 2013/2014
|President||Jim van der Tas||Blue Canoe Waterfront Restaurant|
|Vice President||Vince Morlet||Tapenade Bistro|
|Treasurer/Secretary||Carolynne Palla||Steveston Insider/Palla Media|
|Marketing Committee Chair||Sarah Gordon||Pieces|
|Board Member||Odile Gagne||A Monkey Tree Emporium|
|Board Member||Erinn Bryan||O'Hare's GastroPub & Liquor Store|
|Board Member||Andrew Stokes||Pajo's|
|Board Member||Jens Hertha||D-Original Sausage Haus|
|Communications Consultant||Janet Morris-Read|
We encourage all businesses in Steveston to join the Steveston Merchants Association. If you have questions, please email email@example.com
Steveston Merchants Associationc/o Steveston Post Office, PO Box 318563811 Moncton StRichmond BC V7E 0B5
Or email the form to:
Who are we?
The Steveston Merchants Association is a group of likeminded business owners who are committed to promoting Steveston as a year round destination to benefit our members. We are committed to increasing sales and making our members businesses busy throughout the year. We are a registered non-profit association with a fiscal year ending February each year.
Why Join the SMA?
- Become part of a strong alliance, to give you a voice on community issues that could directly effect your business
- Regular newspaper and magazine advertising to benefit your business
- Socializing and network with fellow business owners
- Extensive listing and your business info on the exploresteveston.com website with link to your own website
- Businesses promoted via social media streams
- Cross promotions between merchants
- Shop local campaigns
- Editorial in local and major newspapers
- Automatic inclusion in special events organized by the SMA, with discounted / free events fees
- Be a part of shaping the future of Steveston
- Increased recognition for contributing to, and participating in, recognized business association
- Receive frequent newsletters with communication and updates on what is happening within the Steveston business community
- Benefit from a huge support network of fellow industry professionals
- Attend organized networking events (some with guest speakers)
- Eligible to be nominated for the SMA Board of Directors
Current SMA Events
- Steveston Scarecrow Crawl
- Steveston Scarecrow Hayday
- Halloween Trick-or-treating
- Girls Night Out
- Festival of Trees in partnership with Gulf of Georgia Cannery
- Christmas in Steveston Village
- Support other special events
First Year Achievements
- Established a strong working relationship / partnership with the City of Richmond and Tourism Richmond
- Created a strong alliance on community issues
- There was previously no point of contact for the City of Richmond regarding merchant related issues in Steveston. The City of Richmond is delighted to have the SMA to communicate with
- We have built an extremely supportive relationship with Tourism Richmond which is eager to assist us and help us thrive
- Created and ran hugely successful events within the community
- Advertising and create awareness of SMA businesses
- Created a strong brand for the SMA
- Created a great website and useful resource for locals and tourists
- Social Media established with good following
- Attracted editorial in both local and Vancouver newspapers
- Attracted TV coverage of Steveston, merchants & events
- Increased awareness of Steveston businesses
- Educated locals on "Shop Local"
- Helped to put Steveston on the map as an all year round destination
- Made charitable donations to the Food Bank, Christmas Fund and others
- Helped create a community that Stevestonites are proud to live in
- The SMA was invited to join a group representing all of Steveston's non-profit organizations, and the SMA now holds a seat on their board of directors
Future Goals / Investment
- Deluxe Christmas Decorations
- Advertising in both Richmond & Vancouver
- Sponsorship of local events
- Grow and enhance current SMA community events
- More adult related events
- October Fest
- Themed Shopping Events
- Create a Steveston Tourist Map with SMA members listed
- Street Banners - changing frequently & promoting SMA initiatives
- Hanging baskets and other beautification of the village
- Welcome to Steveston sign
- Continue to increase our membership
- Website search engine optimization
- Continue to represent the best interest of our members & steer traffic to their businesses
For more information:
Contact Carolynne Palla, Secretary, 604-812-5658